Typical Types of Trauma Arising Out of Motor Vehicle Accidents
When two objects each weighing nearly 3,000 pounds collide, a great deal of force is generated. When that force is applied to the human body, injuries naturally occur, even when the vehicles are traveling at relatively slow speeds. Here are the most common types of injuries sustained in automobile collisions.
Soft-tissue injuries typically involve connective tissue, such as muscles, ligaments, tendons and cartilage:
- Bruises (contusions) – Anytime your body makes violent contact with a stationary object, there’s a risk of bruising/contusions stemming from damage to blood vessels under your skin. You may immediately have some discoloration in your skin (typically reddish-purple), or it may take a couple days for the bruise to turn “black and blue.”
- Neck and back injury – You have muscles, ligaments, and discs (gelatinous cushioning between your vertebrae) in your neck and back, which can tear, rupture, or be strained.
- Whiplash – One of the more well-known injuries suffered in car accidents, whiplash involves the head violently snapping back and forth, typically caused by the car’s impact with another object.
Auto accidents often result in head injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries – A traumatic brain injury (TBI) occurs when your head experiences sudden trauma, either from blunt force or a penetrating injury,
- Concussions – A concussion is a form of traumatic brain injury, typically referred to as a mild TBI.
Accident Centers of Texas—Committed to Helping Restore You to Maximum Health
At Accident Centers of Texas, we have one primary goal—to help you return to optimal health. We treat injured patients at eight convenient locations, including Dallas, Pleasant Grove, Oak Cliff, Fort Worth, Arlington, Irving, Garland, and Frisco. In most instances, we can schedule a same-day appointment when you need immediate attention. Based on your medical condition and the treatment you need, you may be seen by a nurse practitioner, a chiropractor, or both.
Appointments are available Monday through Thursday, 9:00 A.M. – 7:00 P.M., Fridays 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M., and Saturdays 10:00 A.M. – 1:00 P.M. If you cannot drive or don’t have transportation, we can arrange to pick you up and get you back home. To set up a visit, call us at (214) 974-4041 or contact us online.
Accident Centers of Texas and Infinity Medical Care Group | Committed to Pain Relief and Recovery